Alice Bailey was a writer of more than twenty-four books on theosophical subjects and was one of the first writers to use the term New Age.
Alice Bailey was born as Alice La Trobe-Bateman, in Manchester, England. She moved to the United States in 1907, where she spent most of her life as a writer and teacher.
Bailey’s works, written between 1919 and 1949, describe a wide-ranging system of esoteric thought covering such topics as how spirituality relates to the Solar System, meditation, healing, spiritual psychology, the destiny of nations, and prescriptions for society in general.
She described the majority of her work as having been telepathically dictated to her by a Master of Wisdom, initially referred to only as “the Tibetan” or by the initials “D.K.“, later identified as Djwal Khul.
Her writings bore some similarity to those of Madame Blavatsky and are among the teachings often referred to as the “Ageless Wisdom“. Though Bailey’s writings differ in some respects to the Theosophy of Madame Blavatsky, they have much in common with it.
Alice and Foster Bailey founded the Lucis Trust in 1922.
Its activities include the Arcane School, World Goodwill, Triangles, a quarterly magazine called The Beacon, and a publishing company primarily intended to publish Bailey’s many books.
The Arcane School gives instruction and guidance in meditation, via correspondence, based on the ideas in Bailey’s books. World Goodwill is intended to promote better human relations through goodwill which they define as “love in action“. That “action” included support of the United Nations.
She wrote on religious themes, including Christianity, though her writings are fundamentally different from many aspects of Christianity or other orthodox religions.
Her vision of a unified society included a global “spirit of religion” different from traditional religious forms and including the concept of the Age of Aquarius.
Alice Bailey Quotes:
1. “An idea is a being incorporeal, which has no subsistence by itself, but gives figure and form unto shapeless matter, and becomes the cause of manifestation.”
2. “In these days of the shattering of the old form and the building of the new, adaptability is needed. We must avert the danger of crystallization through pliability and expansion. The “old order changeth,” but primarily it is a change of dimension and of aspect, and not of material or of foundation.”
3. “Christ when He said: “the kingdom of God is within you,” thus pointing all human atoms to the center of life or energy within themselves, and teaching them that from and through that center they must expand and grow. Each one of us is conscious of being centered within himself;”
4. “Initiation, or the process of undergoing an expansion of consciousness, is part of the normal process of evolutionary development, viewed on a large scale, and not from the standpoint of the individual.”
5. “Hundreds in the East and in the West are pressing onwards towards this goal. and in the unity of the one ideal, in their common aspiration and endeavor, they will meet before the one Portal. They will then recognize themselves as brothers, severed by tongue and apparent diversity of belief, hut fundamentally holding to the same one truth and serving the same God.”
6. “The entire universe is a great theatre of mirrors.”
7. “Forgetting the things that lie behind, I will strive towards my higher spiritual possibilities. I dedicate myself anew to the service of the Coming One and will do all I can to prepare men’s minds and hearts for that event. I have no other life intention.”
8. “Reincarnation is implicit in the manifested universe and is basic and fundamental.”
9. “Healing does not come through intense affirmation of divinity, or by simply pouring out love and the expression of a vague mysticism. It comes through mastering an exact science of contact, impression, of invocation plus an understanding of the subtle apparatus of the etheric vehicle.”
10. “The planetary etheric body is a whole, unbroken and continuous; of this etheric body, those of the healer and the patient are integral, intrinsic parts.”
11. “Emphasis should be laid on the evolution of humanity.”
12. “I suggest that just as self-consciousness is the goal for all the subhuman forms of life, and as a group consciousness, or the consciousness of the Heavenly Man, is the goal for the human being, so for him, also, there may be a goal, and for him, the achievement may be the development of God-consciousness.”
13. “Right human relations is the only true peace.”
14. “I am the Soul. I am the Light Divine. I am Love. I am Will. I am a Fixed Design.”