Sri Anandamayi Ma was an Indian saint from Bengal. Swami Sivananda (Divine Life Society) described her as “the most perfect flower the Indian soil has produced.”
Anandamayi Ma was born on 30 April 1896 to the orthodox Vaishnava Brahmin couple Bipinbihari Bhattacharya and Mokshada Sundari Devi in the village of Kheora, Brahmanbaria District, now in present-day Bangladesh.
Anandamayi Ma never prepared discourses, wrote down, or revised what she had said. People had difficulty transcribing her often informal talks because of their conversational speed.
Precognition, faith healing, and miracles were attributed to her by her followers.
A central theme of her teaching is the supreme calling of every human being is to aspire to self-realization.
Anandamayi Ma welcomed and conversed with devotees of different religions from Shaivaite, Vaishnavs, Tantric, or from Islam, Christianity, Zoroastrianism. Everyone was welcome and she was equally at ease while giving guidance to all practitioners of different faiths.
Her style of teaching included jokes, songs, and instructions on everyday life along with long discourses, silent meditation and recommended reading of scriptures.
Anandamayi Ma died on 27 August 1982 in Dehradun, and subsequently, on 29 August 1982, a Samadhi (shrine) was built in the courtyard of her Kankhal ashram, situated in Haridwar in North India.
Anandamayi Ma Quotes:
1. “Whether you worship Christ, Krishna, Kali or Allah, you actually worship the one Light that is also in you, since It pervades all things.”
2. “He who has created the universe is Himself present in all circumstances and conditions.”
3. “Joys and sorrows are time born and cannot last. Therefore, do not be perturbed by them. The greater the difficulties and obstructions, the more intense will be your endeavor to cling to His feet and the more will your prayer increase from within.”
4. “I find one vast garden spread out all over the universe. All plants, all human beings, all higher mind-bodies are about in this garden in various ways, each has his own uniqueness and beauty. Their presence and variety give me great delight. Every one of you adds with his special feature to the glory of the garden.”
5. “Perfect resignation gives the deepest joy of all. Accept it as your sole resource”
6. “Ever afterward, though the dance of creation change around me in the hall of eternity, I shall be the same.”
7. “Family life, which is the Ashrama of the householder, can also take you in His direction, provided it is accepted as an asrama. Lived in this spirit, it helps man to progress towards Self-realization.”
8. “Without loving God you will not get anywhere. Remember this at all times .”
9. “In water and on land, in trees, shrubs, and creepers-everywhere in the whole universe abides my Beloved. Further, all the various forms and modes of being that we behold, are they not expressions of my Beloved? For there is none save Him. He is smaller than the smallest and greater than the greatest.”
10. “When in spite of all efforts one fails to catch a train, does this not make it clear from where all one’s movements are being directed? Whatever is to happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time, is all fixed by Him… His arrangements are perfect”
11. “By doing service heart and mind are purified — be convinced of this.”