There are a few Dalai Lama quotes that help us put life back into perspective, making complicated truths reveal a simplicity of happiness.
Dalai Lama is a title given to spiritual leaders of the Tibetan people.
The Dalai Lama is considered to be the successor in a line of tulkus who are believed to be incarnations of Avalokiteśvara, a Bodhisattva of Compassion.
The current, or 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, received the Nobel peace prize in 1989.
The Dalai Lama figure is important for many reasons. Since the time of the fifth Dalai Lama, his personage has always been a symbol of the unification of the state of Tibet, where he has represented Buddhist values and traditions.
The wisdom of the Dalai Lama surpasses our understanding of how life is supposed to be. These Dalai Lama quotes help us see things from a simplistic perspective and gives us time to calm down and take a fresh look. Let’s take a look.
Here are the most enlightening Dalai Lama quotes that will leave you spellbound:
1. “Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.”
2. “This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.”
3. “World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think, the manifestation of human compassion.”
4. “All suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their own happiness or satisfaction”
5. “The more you are motivated by Love, The more Fearless & Free your action will be.”
6. “Love and Compassion are the true religions to me. But to develop this, we do not need to believe in any religion.”
7. “Because we all share this planet earth, we have to learn to live in harmony and peace with each other and with nature. This is not just a dream, but a necessity.”
8. “We are visitors on this planet. We are here for one hundred years at the very most. During that period we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. if you contribute to other people’s happiness, you will find the true meaning of life.”
9. “Dangerous consequences will follow when politicians and rulers forget moral principles. Whether we believe in God or karma, ethics is the foundation of every religion.”
10. “A genuine, affectionate smile is very important in our day-to-day lives.”
11. “The planet does not need more ‘successful people’. The planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers and lovers of all kinds.”
12. “If I am only happy for myself, many fewer chances for happiness. If I am happy when good things happen to other people, billions more chances to be happy!”
13. “Our ancient experience confirms at every point that everything is linked together, everything is inseparable.”
14. “It is our collective and individual responsibility to preserve and tend to the environment in which we all live.”
15. “The ultimate source of happiness is not money and power, but warm-heartedness”
16. “Today, more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal responsibility, not only nation to nation and human to human, but also human to other forms of life.”