George Harrison was an English musician, singer-songwriter, music and film producer who achieved international fame as the lead guitarist of the Beatles.
Often referred to as “the quiet Beatle“, George Harrison embraced Indian culture and helped broaden the scope of popular music through his incorporation of Indian instrumentation and Hindu-aligned spirituality in the Beatles’ work.
George Harrison was born in Wavertree, Liverpool, on 25 February 1943.
Harrison’s earliest musical influences included George Formby, Cab Calloway, Django Reinhardt, and Hoagy Carmichael; by the 1950s, Carl Perkins and Lonnie Donegan were significant influences.
By 1965, he had begun to lead the Beatles into folk rock through his interest in Bob Dylan and the Byrds, and towards Indian classical music through his use of the sitar on “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)“.
Having initiated the band’s embracing of Transcendental Meditation in 1967, he subsequently developed an association with the Hare Krishna movement.
After the band’s break-up in 1970, Harrison released the triple album All Things Must Pass, a critically acclaimed work that produced his most successful hit single, “My Sweet Lord“, and introduced his signature sound as a solo artist, the slide guitar.
He also organized the 1971 Concert for Bangladesh with Indian musician Ravi Shankar, a precursor to later benefit concerts such as Live Aid.
In his role as a music and film producer, George Harrison produced acts signed to the Beatles’ Apple record label before founding Dark Horse Records in 1974 and co-founding HandMade Films in 1978.
George Harrison Quotes:
1. “I think people who truly can live a life in music are telling the world, ‘You can have my love, you can have my smiles. Forget the bad parts, you don’t need them. Just take the music, the goodness, because it’s the very best, and it’s the part I give most willingly”
2. “When you’ve seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there.”
3. “If you don’t know where you’re going, any road’ll take you there”
4. “That’s it really; it’s all love, whichever way you look at it, it’s all love. How much you can get from each other and that’s determined by how much you’re giving to each other. But it all starts within our self and then it spreads to those around us, good and bad. But basically, that’s it, I think it’s the love that we can generate is equal to the love that we get back … Amen.”
5. “With our love, we could save the world.”
6. “The only thing we really have to work at in this life is how to manifest love.”
7. “Beware of sadness, It can hit you, It can hurt you
Make you sore and what is more, That is not what you are here for.”
8. “Music should be used for the perception of God, not jitterbugging.”
9. “Life goes on within you and without you.’ I just have a belief that this is only one little bit, the physical world is one little bit of the universe.-”
10. “The speech of flowers excels the flowers of speech.”
11. “Since our problems have been our own creation. They also can be overcome.
When we use the power provided free to everyone, This is love!”
12. “With every mistake, we must surely be learning.”
13. “Give me love
Give me love
Give me peace on earth
Give me light
Give me life
Keep me free from birth
Give me hope
Help me cope, with this heavy load
Trying to, touch and reach you with,
heart and soul”