John Lennon was an English singer, songwriter, and peace activist who co-founded the Beatles, the most commercially successful band in the history of popular music.
He was born at 9 October 1940 as John Winston Lennon in Liverpool.
John Lennon revealed a rebellious nature and acerbic wit in his music, writing, drawings, on film and in interviews. Some of his songs were adopted as anthems by the anti-war movement and the larger counterculture.
John Lennon married Yoko Ono in 1969, he added “Ono” as one of his middle names.
In 1970, John Lennon and Ono went through primal therapy with Arthur Janov in Los Angeles, California.
Designed to release emotional pain from early childhood, the therapy entailed two half-days a week with Janov for four months; he had wanted to treat the couple for longer, but they felt no need to continue and returned to London.
Controversial through his political and peace activism, he moved from London to Manhattan in 1971, where his criticism of the Vietnam War resulted in a lengthy attempt by the Nixon administration to deport him.
Sadly, on 8 December 1980, Mark David Chapman shot Lennon four times in the back at close range.
We have collected 17 quotes about life, love, religion, and peace that will inspire your life.
1. “I believe in everything until it’s disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it’s in your mind. Who’s to say that dreams and nightmares aren’t as real as the here and now?”
2. “I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It’s just that the translations have gone wrong.”
3. “If someone thinks that peace and love are just a cliche that must have been left behind in the 60s, that’s a problem. Peace and love are eternal.”
4. “Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns it calls me on and on across the universe.”
5. “A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.”
6. “Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.”
7. “My role in society, or any artist’s or poet’s role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all.”
8. “Life is very short, and there’s no time for fussing and fighting my friends”
9. “When I hold you in my arms and I feel my finger on your trigger I know no one can do me no harm because happiness is a warm gun.”
10. “A mistake is only an error, it becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it”
11. “One thing I can tell you is you have to be free. Come together, right now, over me.”
12. “You’re all geniuses, and you’re all beautiful. You don’t need anyone to tell you who you are. You are what you are. Get out there and get peace, think peace, and live peace and breathe peace, and you’ll get it as soon as you like.”
13. “If everyone could just be happy with themselves and the choices people around them make, the world would instantly be a better place!”
14. “They keep you doped with religion, and sex, and T.V. And you think you’re so clever and classless and free. But you’re still fucking peasants as far as I can see”
15. “Give peace a chance”
16. “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us. And the world will live as one.”
17. “Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.”