Elvis Presley was an American singer and actor.
Regarded as one of the most significant cultural icons of the 20th century, he is often referred to as the “King of Rock and Roll” or simply “the King“.
His energized interpretations of songs and sexually provocative performance style, combined with a singularly potent mix of influences across color lines during a transformative era in race relations, made him enormously popular—and controversial.
Elvis Presley was born on January 8, 1935, in Tupelo, Mississippi.
Presley’s earliest musical influence came from gospel. His mother recalled that from the age of two, at the Assembly of God church in Tupelo attended by the family, “he would slide down off my lap, run into the aisle and scramble up to the platform. There he would stand looking at the choir and trying to sing with them.”
As a teenager, Presley’s musical interests were wide-ranging, and he was deeply informed about both white and African-American musical idioms.
Though he never had any formal training, he was blessed with a remarkable memory, and his musical knowledge was already considered by the time he made his first professional recordings aged 19 in 1954.
In November 1956, Elvis Presley made his film debut in Love Me Tender.
Drafted into military service in 1958, Elvis Presley relaunched his recording career two years later with some of his most commercially successful work.
He held few concerts, however, and guided by Parker, proceeded to devote much of the 1960s to making Hollywood films and soundtrack albums, most of them critically derided.
Elvis Presley is one of the most celebrated and influential musicians of the 20th century.
Commercially successful in many genres, including pop, country, blues, and gospel, he is the best-selling solo artist in the history of recorded music.
He won three competitive Grammys, received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award at age 36, and has been inducted into multiple music halls of fame.
Elvis Presley Quotes:
1. “To judge a man by his weakest link or deed is like judging the power of the ocean by one wave.”
2. “Your kisses lift me higher…like the sweet song of a choir. You light my morning sky, with burning love.”
3. “Until we meet again, may God bless you as he has blessed me.”
4. “People think you’re crazy if you talk about things they don’t understand.”
5. “Sad thing is, you can still love someone and be wrong for them.”
6. “Don’t criticize what you don’t understand, son. You never walked in that man’s shoes.”
7. “Values are like fingerprints. Nobody’s are the same, but you leave ’em all over everything you do”
8. “The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.”
9. “I learned how important it is to entertain people and give them a reason to come and watch you play.”
10. “A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It’s my favorite part of the business, live concerts.”
11. “Rhythm is something you either have or don’t have, but when you have it, you have it all over.”
12. “It’s human nature to gripe, but I’m going ahead and doing the best I can.”
13. “More than anything else, I want the folks back at home to think right of me.”
14. “Do something worth remembering.”