Maya Angelou born Marguerite Annie Johnson, was an American poet, singer, memoirist, and civil rights, activist.
Maya Angelou became a poet and writer after a series of occupations as a young adult.
Including fry cook, sex worker, a nightclub dancer, and performer, cast member of the opera Porgy and Bess, coordinator for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, and journalist in Egypt and Ghana during the decolonization of Africa.
Maya Angelou was born on April 4, 1928, in St. Louis, Missouri.
She published seven autobiographies, three books of essays, several books of poetry.
She was an actor, writer, director, and producer of plays, movies, and public television programs. Maya Angelou was active in the Civil Rights Movement and worked with Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X.
We have collected 16 powerful and insightful quotes, hoping that it injects a hearty dose of beauty and inspiration into your life.
1. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
2. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style”
3. “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.”
4. “Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.”
5. “A woman’s heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her.”
6. “Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.”
7. “My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.”
8. “Be a rainbow in somebody else’s cloud.”
9. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”
10. “When we find someone who is brave, fun, intelligent, and loving, we have to thank the universe.”
11. “I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.”
12. “Anything that works against you can also work for you once you understand the Principle of Reverse.”
13. “A woman who is convinced that she deserves to accept only the best challenges herself to give the best. Then she is living phenomenally.”
14. “Each of us, famous or infamous, is a role model for somebody, and if we aren’t, we should behave as though we are — cheerful, kind, loving, courteous. Because you can be sure someone is watching and taking deliberate and diligent notes.”
15. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!”
16. “Just like moons and suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high, Still I’ll rise.”