Timothy Leary was an American psychologist and writer known for advocating the exploration of the therapeutic potential of psychedelic drugs under controlled conditions.
Timothy Leary was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, on Oct 22, 1920.
Tall, handsome and soft-spoken, Leary in his prime was a tenacious and irrepressible figurehead for the movement that advocated the drug lifestyle and was himself a consumer of LSD on a grand scale.
Leary authored and co-authored more than twenty books and was featured on more than a dozen audio recordings. His acting career included over a dozen appearances in movies and television shows in various roles, over thirty appearances as himself.
He also produced and/or collaborated with others in the creation of multimedia presentations and computer games.
Timothy Leary believed that LSD showed potential for therapeutic use in psychiatry.
He used LSD himself and developed a philosophy of mind expansion and personal truth through LSD.
Leary was one of the most revolutionary minds of his time, and his insights carry just as much wisdom today, some 20 years after his death.
Here Are 15 More Of Timothy Leary’s Greatest Quotes:
1. “Courage is the key to creativity and to any relinquishing of ego structure.”
2. “I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”
3. “We seem to inhabit a universe made up of a small number of elements-particles-bits that swirl in chaotic clouds, occasionally clustering together in geometrically logical temporary configurations.”
4. “Any reality is an opinion-we make up our own reality”
5. “I declare that The Beatles are mutants. Prototypes of evolutionary agents sent by God, endowed with a mysterious power to create a new human species, a young race of laughing freemen.”
6. “If you want to change the way people respond to you, change the way you respond to people.”
7. “God #1 is the Single-cell Intelligence, the collaborative brain that knows how to run a simple protozoan. The First God is the one-celled God. The First and original craft of God is Protozoan.”
8. “If you listen to neurologists and psychiatrists, you’d never fall in love.”
9. “LSD is a psychedelic drug which occasionally causes psychotic behavior in people who have NOT taken it.”
10. “People ask me how many times I’ve taken LSD–and I don’t count. But it’s the same thing when they ask me how many times I’ve made love. The answer is, not enough.”
11. “Today, reality is created mainly by television and movies. The media producers have become a priest-caste who guide, direct, and manage reality.”
12. “a man–venerable, with a white beard, or on a cross, or as a baby, or a sage seated in the full lotus position. Are these not limiting incarnations, temporary housings, of the great energy process?”
13. “You’re only as young as the last time you changed your mind”
14. “In the information-communication civilization of the 21st Century, creativity and mental excellence will become the ethical norm. The world will be too dynamic, complex, and diversified, too cross-linked by the global immediacies of modern (quantum) communication, for stability of thought or dependability of behaviour to be successful.”
15. “The goals of an intelligent life, according to Socrates, is to pursue the philosophic quest—to increase one’s knowledge of self and world.”