Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk and peace activist.
Thich Nhat Hanh has published more than 100 books, including more than 40 in English.
He is active in the peace movement, promoting nonviolent solutions to conflict. He also refrains from animal product consumption (veganism) as a means of nonviolence towards animals.
Nhất Hạnh was born in the city of Huế in Central Vietnam in 1926.
Thich Nhat Hanh ‘s approach has been to combine a variety of teachings of Early Buddhism, Mahayana Buddhist traditions of Yogācāra and Zen, and ideas from Western psychology to teach Mindfulness of Breathing and the Four Establishment of Mindfulness, offering a modern light on meditation practice.
Thich Nhat Hanh has also been a leader in the Engaged Buddhism movement (he is credited with coining the term), promoting the individual’s active role in creating change.
Nobel laureate Martin Luther King, Jr. nominated Thích Nhất Hạnh for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967. However, the prize was not awarded to anybody that year. Nhất Hạnh was awarded the Courage of Conscience award in 1991.
Thich Nhat Hanh has been featured in many films, including The Power of Forgiveness shown at the Dawn Breakers International Film Festival.
Thich Nhat Hanh Quotes:
1. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”
2. “Many people think excitement is happiness…. But when you are excited you are not peaceful. True happiness is based on peace.”
3. “Through my love for you, I want to express my love for the whole cosmos, the whole of humanity, and all beings. By living with you, I want to learn to love everyone and all species. If I succeed in loving you, I will be able to love everyone and all species on Earth… This is the real message of love.”
4. “Because you are alive, everything is possible.”
5. “The mind can go in a thousand directions, but on this beautiful path, I walk in peace. With each step, the wind blows. With each step, a flower blooms.”
6. “The source of love is deep in us and we can help others realize a lot of happiness. One word, one action, one thought can reduce another person’s suffering and bring that person joy.”
7. “If you love someone, the greatest gift you can give them is your presence”
8. “If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work.
9. “The true miracle is not walking on water or walking in air, but simply walking on this earth.”
10. “Root out the violence in your life, and learn to live compassionately and mindfully. Seek peace. When you have peace within, real peace with others is possible.”
11. “In mindfulness one is not only restful and happy, but alert and awake. Meditation is not evasion; it is a serene encounter with reality.”
12. “Anxiety, the illness of our time, comes primarily from our inability to dwell in the present moment.”
13. “There is no enlightenment outside of daily life.”
14. “Guarding knowledge is not a good way to understand. Understanding means to throw away your knowledge.”
15. “Awareness is like the sun. When it shines on things, they are transformed.”