Tupac Shakur, also known by his stage names 2Pac and Makaveli, was an American rapper, writer, and actor.
He is considered by many to be one of the greatest rappers of all time.
Shakur is one of the best-selling music artists of all time having sold over 75 million records worldwide.
Much of Shakur’s work has been noted for addressing contemporary social issues that plagued inner cities, and he is considered a symbol of resistance and activism against inequality.
Tupac Shakur was born on June 16, 1971, into an African-American family in the East Harlem section of Manhattan in New York City.
Tupac Shakur released his debut album 2Pacalypse Now in 1991, he became a central figure in West Coast hip hop, introducing social issues in the genre at a time when gangsta rap was dominant in the mainstream.
Outside of music, Tupac Shakur also gained considerable success as an actor, with his starring roles as Bishop in Juice (1992), Lucky in Poetic Justice (1993), Ezekiel in Gridlock’d (1997), and Jake in Gang Related (1997), all garnering praise from critics.
On September 7, 1996, Shakur was shot four times by an unknown assailant in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas; he died six days later and the gunman was never captured.
The Notorious B.I.G., Shakur’s friend turned rival, was at first considered a suspect but was also murdered in another drive-by shooting several months later.
Five more albums have been released since his death, all of which have been certified platinum.
Tupac Shakur Quotes:
1. “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender.”
2. “I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing. Through every dark night, there’s a bright day after that. So no matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep ya head up…. and handle it.”
3. “I’m not saying I’m gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world.”
4. “Reality is wrong. Dreams are for the real.”
5. “Never surrender, it’s all about the faith you got: don’t ever stop, just push it ’till you hit the top and if you drop, at least you know you gave your all to be true to you, that way you can never fall”
6. “My mama always used to tell me: ‘If you can’t find somethin’ to live for, you best find somethin’ to die for.”
7. “During your life, never stop dreaming. No one can take away your dreams”
8. “It takes skill to be real. Time to heal each other”
9. “If you could walk a mile in my shoes you’d be crazy too.”
10. “You know it’s funny when it rains it pours. They got money for wars, but can’t feed the poor.”
11. “Please wake me when I’m free, I cannot bear captivity. I would rather be stricken blind
Than 2 live without expression of mind”
12. “Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.”
13. “Did you hear about the rose that grew from a crack in the concrete? Proving nature’s laws wrong, it learned to walk without having feet. Funny, it seems to by keeping it’s dreams; it learned to breathe fresh air. Long live the rose that grew from concrete when no one else even cared.”
14. “If you can make it through the night, there’s a brighter day.”